Thursday 21 February 2013

Vegetable Curry

It's day 4 of our 1 week detox and I made a vegetable curry for dinner. I didn't get a photo (will next time). It didn't look all that pretty anyway, but it tasted pretty good. Here's the recipe, nice and simple:

Here's what I used

1 Large Onion (I actually used 1 and a half as I had a spare half in the fridge, ha)
1 Green Pepper
2 Cloves Garlic (crushed in our new garlic crusher)
1 Butternut Squash (I only used the top, so I've got the seedy bit left over for another day)
1 Red Chilli Pepper
1 Lime (I only used half in the end)
1 Tin Coconut Milk
1 Tablespoon (approx) Fresh Ginger (Finely Chopped)
15g (approx) Fresh Coriander (Finely Chopped)
100g (approx) Organic Cashew Nuts
Olive Oil (just a little for frying)
1 Cup (approx) Brown Basmati Rice
100g (approx) Spinach Leaves

Here's what I did

I heated a little oil in the wok.
Chopped up the onion and threw it in.
Cut the butternut squash into bite-size pieces added this shortly afterwards, once the onions began to go translucent.
Cut the pepper into wedges, then this went in.
Waited a bit for this to cook a little.
Then I added chilli pepper and ginger, both finely chopped, and crushed in the garlic using the new garlic crusher :-)
I kept this moving so as not to burn the garlic and as soon as the sweet garlic smell came up out of the pan I poured over the coconut milk and gave the whole thing a squeeze of lime.

*At this point I started the rice. Brown rice because we're on detox! I just followed the instructions on the packet, which goes something like this: put rice in pan, add water, bring to boil and simmer for 25 minutes.*

Back to the curry, I left it on a fairly high heat to reduce it down, it was quite watery and I wanted it thicker. I stirred quite frequently so the bottom didn't burn. I added the cashew nuts about now. Yum!
As the curry began to thicken I put the spinach on to steam for 15 minutes. We bought a new steamer this week so I'm steaming everything!
10 minutes later (with just 5 minutes of cooking left) I added the finely chopped coriander.

To plate up I put the rice in a little pile and gave it a light squeeze of lime, spooned the curry beside the rice and the spinach in a little parcel (this is where a photo would've helped!)

Kate seemed to enjoy it and her sister came round for dinner tonight and cleared her plate, so I guess I did a pretty good job!

No comments:

Post a Comment