Tuesday 26 March 2013

Fish Pie

This is a favourite of mine from Jamie Oliver. I had to make it from memory because I've lost my copy of The Return of The Naked Chef from whence it came, so it's not exactly as Jamie intended, but turned out really well considering it was a last minute made with whatever I could find in the cupboards.

Ingredients:
Fish Pie Mix
Eggs
Onions
Carrots
Cheese
Garlic
Milk
Cheese
Mustard
Lemon Juice 
Basil
Parsley
Mixed Herbs
Potato
Fish Pie Mix
Spinach
 
First, put the oven on!
- Boil the eggs (1 per person)
- Cut the potato into small pieces and put to boil in a large pan. Rule of thumb, I allocate 1 large potato per person. Boil for 10 mins then drain, mash and put to one side
While potatoes are boiling:
- Chop the onion and carrot and fry in some hot oil
- Pour over milk (Jamie uses cream but I'm all out)
- Sprinkle grated cheese to thicken (on this occasion it was pre-grated cheddar)
- Add a teaspoon of mustard
- Splash a little lemon juice (I had no fresh lemon in stock, so used the bottled stuff left over from pancake day!)
- Crush in a couple cloves of garlic
- Stir in finely chopped basil and parsley (I added extra dried mixed herbs for the fun of it)
- Pinch of salt and pepper if you like
I like to reduce this down so it's not runny
- In a large oven dish lay out a bed of spinach
- Peel and half the eggs and place on top of spinach, equally spaced
- Lay the fish in the dish with the eggs
- Pour the sauce over the fish & eggs
- Lay on mashed potato gently
- Sprinkle extra cheese over top
Put this in the oven for about 30 mins until potato goes lovely and crunchy

What I love about this dish is it's so versatile. There's some stuff in here not in Jamie's original recipe and some stuff that's supposed to be in here (like prawns and chilli) but it doesn't matter, it still tasted great. Kate had a second helping! All you have to remember is it's fish and potato with a creamy sauce, that's the basics, I fill in the blanks as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment